How is board foot calculated?
A board foot is calculated by multiplying the surface measure of a board by the standard thickness. Surface measure is 12” wide by 12” long. Standard thickness is defined as a minimum thickness of 1” increasing in 1/4” increments. In other words, it doesn’t matter how many fractional inches a board is below 1”, the board foot will be calculated as 1” in thickness. Any board surfaced over 1” will be calculated up to the next ¼” increment in thickness.
With this understanding, board footage can be calculated. Have the measurement of the components of the project in hand. You’ll want to add extra width and length to those measurements to account for waste from ripping and chopping of the material. This will provide you the measurements to calculate board footage. You take the length x width x thickness and then divide this by 144 (if all measurements are in inches) or 12 (if all measurements are in feet). Here’s an example. A table top measures 20” wide, 48” long, and 1” thick. Add 3” to the width and 6” to the length for waste. The new measurements are 23” wide, 54” long, and 1” thick. 23 x 54 x 1 = 1242. 1242 / 144 = 8.625 board feet.
Why is shipping lumber so expensive?
Even though most of the moisture is removed from lumber, wood is still a dense material. Most of the ground freight carriers built the companies to deliver packages much smaller in dimension and lighter than the weight of lumber.
There are ways to offset the cost of shipping by buying more volume. Feel free to use our shipping calculator to minimize your cost paid per board foot. You can also view our shipping info below for more information.
May I get my lumber cut to size for my project?
What kind of lumber do you stock?
Our specialty is hardwood lumber, so our tried and true lumber stock includes:
- Black Walnut
- Brown Hard Maple
- Hard Maple
- Red Oak
- Soft Maple
- White Ash
- Curly Hard Maple
- Curly Red Oak
- Tigerstripe Soft Maple
- White Birdseye
We also have a rotating mix of specialty lumber that we carry and are always adding additional stock. If you are on the hunt for something specific, email us and we can let you know if we have any in stock or plan to in the near future. Or subscribe to our newsletter and we’ll email you updated stock lists every so often.
Does Fine Craftsman Lumber sell pine?
What is Fine Craftsman grade?
The Fine Craftsman grade of lumber, sold exclusively by Fine Craftsman Lumber, is a proprietary grade that is at least 95% clear. From time to time, there will be a knot, end crack, or minimal wane at the end of an FC (Fine Craftsman) board, but this does not destroy the integrity of the 95% clear rule that we have developed for this grade.
Does Fine Craftsman Lumber straight line rip and sand their lumber?
We give you the option. We know some people like to work with the most width and thickness possible. But others like to purchase SLR1E and sanded products. We provide SLR1E and sand our products to 13/16″. And the best part is, these services are free of charge!
How are your shipping rates determined?
Shipping rates vary based off weight, destination, size of the package, and the day the package is shipped. All carriers have weight and size limits. Once you go over these limits the cost of shipping increases. Remember, wood is heavy, so shipping rates might be more than anticipated. Here are some tips:
- Our value packs and inspector’s choice boards have free shipping. These products are shipped through UPS Ground.
- Packages under 8’ lengths offer lowest flat shipping rates. For all shipping options, going over 7’ boards trigger additional handling charges. In addition stay under 70 lbs. This will give you best shipping rate for small orders.
- Orders between 70-150 lbs. can still be shipped through UPS, but it can be more expensive. We will package orders in 10 or 20 board foot increments. This will make shipping more affordable. Anything over 150 lbs. will be shipped as LTL unless otherwise specified.
- Make purchases in bulk. Know if your order can be processed as LTL (less than truckload). LTL shipments are the most affordable at 150+ lbs. The cost of LTL shipments becomes more affordable per board foot when purchasing 250-500 board feet. Plan ahead for future projects that way you don’t have to pay for shipping twice. And consider ordering more board footage than you calculated. It’s not a bad idea to have some extra lumber lying around. This way if you make a mistake, have a small project, or need to make a repair, you have enough lumber to complete it. The only downside to LTL orders is someone needs to be at the delivery site when the package arrives. If someone cannot be there, we can set you up with a different shipping option.
- We understand that shipping can be expensive, so we do our best to get you the best shipping rates. We only charge you what the carrier charges us.
- You can view our shipping rates by testing our shipping calculator or contact us for a quote. For more complex carts, the shipping calculator is more likely to be inaccurate. For these situations, please contact us for further help.
- If you have questions or concerns about shipping rates, please contact us at 1-888-903-3133 or email us at [email protected] We are more than happy to help.
When will my order ship?
Once we receive your order, we start processing it within 3-4 business days. From there, the products included in your order will dictate how quickly we can ship it. We’ll keep you updated along the way, and send an email which includes delivery tracking information when your order departs our facility. If you have schedule questions prior to placing your order, feel free to email us and we’ll get them answered.
When will I receive my order?
Once we receive your order, we process it within 3-4 business days. From there, the products included in your order will dictate how quickly we can ship it. We’ll keep you updated along the way, and send an email which includes delivery tracking information when your order departs our facility. If you have schedule questions prior to placing your order, feel free to email us and we’ll get them answered.
All products with free shipping are shipped through UPS Ground. Below is a transit time map to help you plan for your projects.
Since we ship through a network of different freight companies, it’s harder to gauge what the transit time will be. If you need an estimated transit time for an LTL shipment please contact us at 1-888-903-3133 or email [email protected].